June 17, 2009
The Golden Lion for best artist in curator Daniel Birnbaum’s Fare Mondi / Making Worlds art exhibition at the 53rd Venice Biennale went to German artist Tobias Rehberger. Tobias Rehberger designed the cafeteria at the Biennale pavilion (formerly known as Italian Pavilion). The jury stated: “Tobias Rehberger is awarded the Golden Lion as best artist for taking us beyond the white cube, where past modes of exhibition are reinvented and the work of art turns into a cafeteria. In this shift social communication becomes aesthetic practice.”
La Biennale di Venezia 2009: Fare Mondi (Making Worlds). Professional Preview, June 4, 2009.
> Right-click (Mac: ctrl-click) this link to download Quicktime video file.
- Zilvinas Kempinas: TUBE / Lithuanian Pavilion / Venice Biennale 2009
- Roman Ondak: Loop / Czech and Slovak Pavilion / Venice Biennale 2009
- Liam Gillick / German Pavilion / Venice Biennale 2009
- Elmgreen & Dragset: The Collectors at Venice Biennial 2009 / Interview with Ingar Dragset
- The Collectors. Curated by Elmgreen & Dragset / Danish Pavilion / Venice Biennial 2009
- Mona Hatoum: Interior Landscape / Fondazione Querini Stampalia / Venice, Italy
- Bruce Nauman: Topological Gardens / US Pavilion / 53rd Venice Biennale 2009
- Claude Lévêque: Le Grand Soir / French Pavilion / 53rd Venice Biennale 2009
- La Biennale di Venezia 2009 / Fare Mondi (Making Worlds) - Palazzo delle Esposizioni in the Giardini
Tags: Tobias Rehberger