June 19, 2009
In this video, Ingar Dragset of the artist duo Elmgreen & Dragset talks about their exhibition “The Collectors” that they showed as representation of Denmark and Nordic Countries Finland, Norway and Sweden at the 53rd Venice Biennale 2009 – the idea behind the exhibition, how it came about, the different concepts for the Danish and the Nordic Pavilion, and the audience’s reaction to the show.
In the previous episode, we had a look at the Danish Pavilion by taking a guided tour with an alleged real estate agent. It’s still on sale, time to invest in real estate ;–) The neighboring Nordic Pavilion by Norwegian architect Sverre Fehn has been turned into a flamboyant bachelor’s pad that features contemporary art by Wolfgang Tillmans, Tom of Finland, and others, as well as iconic design pieces and a swimming pool.
More than twenty artists and designers of all ages have contributed to the show, ranging from established to emerging ones. Michael Elmgreen & Ingar Dragset’s exhibition is also a first time collaboration between the Danish and the Nordic Pavilion and the first joint venture of two national pavilions in the Biennale. The Collectors has earned Michael Elmgreen & Ingar Dragset a special mention (Curating Worlds) for their curatorial work for the Danish and Nordic Pavilion from the Biennale jury of the 53rd International Art Exhibition.
Elmgreen & Dragset: The Collectors. 53rd International Art Exhibition, Venice Biennial 2009. Interview with Ingar Dragset, June 6, 2009. Interview: Raphaele Shirley.
- Zilvinas Kempinas: TUBE / Lithuanian Pavilion / Venice Biennale 2009
- Roman Ondak: Loop / Czech and Slovak Pavilion / Venice Biennale 2009
- Liam Gillick / German Pavilion / Venice Biennale 2009
- The Collectors. Curated by Elmgreen & Dragset / Danish Pavilion / Venice Biennial 2009
- Mona Hatoum: Interior Landscape / Fondazione Querini Stampalia / Venice, Italy
- Tobias Rehberger: Was du liebst, bringt dich auch zum Weinen (Cafeteria) / Venice Biennale 2009
- Bruce Nauman: Topological Gardens / US Pavilion / 53rd Venice Biennale 2009
- Claude Lévêque: Le Grand Soir / French Pavilion / 53rd Venice Biennale 2009
- La Biennale di Venezia 2009 / Fare Mondi (Making Worlds) - Palazzo delle Esposizioni in the Giardini